Martindale rating: AV Preeminent
Northern Michigan’s A-List of Attorneys, Traverse Magazine 02/09
Jane Gootee Nelson’s legal practice focuses on estate planning, trust administration, and probate. In the firm, Jane collaborates with estate planning attorneys Claire Forster and Bill Meengs to ensure that client needs are met.
Jane tailors specific estate planning document to the client’s family, assets, goals and individual considerations. She works with her clients to get the appropriate documents in place and to title assets and name beneficiaries so that the documents ‘work’. She is ‘service minded’ and meets elderly and ill clients at their residence or other convenient location.
Experience & Education:
• Probate and Estate Planning Certificate issued by the Probate and Estate Planning Section of the State Bar of Michigan, 2005;
• Mediation Certification and volunteer mediator in Charlevoix and Emmet Counties from 2004-2014;
• Private practice at Stroup Meengs, PC, since October 2004;
• The Dow Chemical Company (1979-2003), serving as Deputy Director of Global Ethics & Compliance, Assistant General Counsel for Litigation, Assistant General Counsel for Financial Law, and Senior Counsel in the Company’s European Headquarters in Switzerland;
• Michigan State Bar Foundation Fellow since 1989
• Indiana Deputy Attorney General (1977-1979);
• Doctor of Jurisprudence, cum laude, Saint Louis University School of Law (1977);
• B.A., Indiana University, Bloomington (1974).
Jane’s corporate background enables her to effectively assist individuals owning businesses create an estate plan addressing both personal and business assets.
Jane has briefed and argued cases at every level in the state and federal systems. In 1985 while in-house counsel for Dow Chemical, she argued a 4th Amendment search and seizure challenge, Dow Chemical v. U.S.A., in the U.S. Supreme Court.
She has a Martindale peer review rating of "AV Preeminent" which reflects outstanding general ethical standards and legal ability ratings. She was listed in “Northern Michigan’s A-List” of Attorneys in Traverse: Northern Michigan’s Magazine in February 2009. Jane has been a, and is a member of the Emmet / Charlevoix Bar Association.
Whether acting as a legal advisor or as a mediator, Jane enjoys helping people identify and solve problems. Her wide ranging experience includes: legal practice as a government attorney; corporate law practice including domestic and international litigation, mergers & acquisitions and general business for a major multi-national corporation; and private practice. She listens to clients and then draws on her decades of legal experience and interpersonal skills to suggest alternatives and implement workable solutions. With client’s permission, Jane collaborates with her client’s other professional advisors, such as accountants, CPAs, investment advisors and insurance advisors. She believes that the client benefits when their professional advisors act as a multi-disciplinary team.